Community Resources

Mental Health

Student counseling services for PWCS

ACTS Suicide Helpline and Assistance: (703) 368-4141

Shelters, Housing Assistance

Action in Community Through Service (ACTS) PWC: Domestic violence shelter that takes women and children and let's them stay for up to one month for free.

Virginia Rent and Mortgage Relief Program (RMRP)

Northern Virginia Family Services (NVFS) Homelessness and Housing Programs

Contact NVFS at 703-792-3366 or
NVFS provides shelter, case management, advocacy, financial management, housing referral, employment assistance, child care assistance, life skills classes, and connection with local resources to homeless individuals and families.

Two local campuses:

  1. SERVE Campus
    10056 Dean Dr. Manassas, VA 20110
    Contact: 571.748.2600
  2. Hilda Barg Homeless Prevention Center
    14945 Jeff. Davis Hwy. Woodbridge VA 22191
    Contact: 571.492.735

Three housing programs:

  1. Short-term rental assistance program
    All intakes must be taken by phone at 703-792-3366.
  2. Regional Housing Assistance Program
    Offers intensive housing case management. Focus will be on housing and barriers leading to housing instability. No financial assistance available in this program.
    Long-Term Assistance: Provides ongoing financial assistance for rent, similar to the Housing Choice Voucher program (Section 8) but offered just to people living with HIV/AIDS. Tenants pay either up to 30% of adjusted income or 10% of gross income for their rent, whichever is higher. NVFS pays the difference.
    Eligibility: Must be living with HIV or AIDS; must be low income; currently residing in Northern Virginia. Clients must be unstably housed or facing housing instability.
    Referral: There is a waitlist for this program maintained by The Northern Virginia Regional Commission. For more information on the waitlist, please contact NVRC at 703.642.0700 or email
    Short-Term Assistance: Provides financial services to individuals with unexpected emergencies or health related issues. Types of assistance provided: Rental assistance; mortgage assistance; utility assistance; security deposit; first month’s rent.
    Eligibility: Clients must be living with HIV/AIDS; clients must live in, or be moving to, a jurisdiction within the Northern or Northwest region of Virginia. Includes City of Fredericksburg and the counties of Clarke, Fauquier, Stafford, and Warren; the origin of the emergency to request financial assistance must be unexpected or a crisis beyond the client’s control; household gross income must be within income guidelines; eligible to apply, on a monthly basis, for up to a total of 21 weeks of assistance with relevant reasons of need; completed application with explanation of emergency and any documents to support this emergency; proof clients have applied for and were unable to obtain assistance from other sources. Clients must be unstably housed or facing housing instability.
    Referral Process: Worker or client can contact the staff contact person directly for intake and information. 571-748-2741
  3. Utility Assistance Program
    Eligibility: Client must be living in Western Prince William County (including the cities of Manassas, Manassas Park, Bristow, Gainesville, Nokesville, Haymarket and Catharpin). Client must have a disconnect notice and must be able to demonstrate significant need for assistance (such as loss of income, medical issues, etc.). If the client is over 60 years old, the disconnect notice is not needed.
    Contact Number: To apply clients need to call 571-748-2624 and leave a message.

For more information on NVFS homelessness and housing, click here, and click here for more information on NVFS shelters.

Food Pantries and School Food in the Summer

ACTS Home Delivery: Receive food to your home if you are 70+ or have a physical disability by calling (703) 441-8606

PWCS To-Go Meals: Available all summer for ages 18 and younger.

Unemployment Centers

The Virginia Employment Commission (located at 13370 Minnieville Road) helps people find employment and also get unemployment benefits.


Virginia Department of Social Services Child Care Assistance: A child care subsidy program in Virginia to help parents pay for child care for children under the age of 13.

Free Wifi Services

Find hotspot locations here.

SNAP, TANF Benefits

See if you are eligible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits and to apply.

Find out how to apply for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), a program some families may be newly eligible for.

Learn about how to apply for Medicare and how exactly it works.

Senior Support

Senior Link program through ACTS: Schedule regular check-in calls by contacting the ACTS Helpline at (703) 368-4141.